The research proposal aims at studying the biosecurity level of cattle farms, taking into account the different production systems, in order to propose guidelines for improvements to prevent the introduction and spread of diseases, including zoo noses.
The specific research questions are:
- What is the list of priority diseases for calves and cattle, including zoonoses, to be considered?
- What is the inventory of risk factors and available biosecurity measures for the diseases of interest (calves and cattle) to be considered?
- What is the current field situation, strengths and weaknesses, regarding biosecurity in Belgian veal and cattle farms?
- How to develop a risk-based quantitative biosecurity scoring system per herd typology to ensure an ongoing quantitative evaluation of practices over time?
- What are the factors determining behavioural changes of farmers and professional herd visitors regarding biosecurity?
- How to develop an automated feedback system providing biosecurity advices based on the Bovine Biocheck?