The scientific objectives are:
(1) To design new ionic liquids with a large electrochemical window, low viscosity, high electrical conductivity and good thermal stability.
(2) To obtain a basic understanding of electrochemical processes in ionic liquids and of the solution chemistry of metal salts in ionic liquids.
(3) To study the electrodeposition of aluminum and aluminum alloy coatings in order to deposit well-adhering coatings on steel under industrially relevant conditions.
(4) To deposit adhering platinum coatings on titanium and tungsten coatings on steel.
(5) To prepare porous, skeletal heterogeneous catalysts by deposition on metal supports and to test their catalytic activity.
(6) To synthesize nanoparticles (Cu, TiO2, CeO2) with different morphologies.